Monday, April 25, 2011

A Devastating Fire on Pearl Street

I was on my way to work this morning when I heard through the radio that there is a huge fire on Pearl Street. As I get closer to my workplace, I saw a thick black smoke. At first I thought my office building was on fire but it was actually the Job Corps building, an old abandoned building about half a mile away from our building. I actually took a picture of the Job Corps building two weeks ago and posted here.

About 75 firefighters battled a large fire for 2 ½ hours Monday morning as the fire burned through the third floor of an abandoned three-story building in Springfield. The fire was reported about 6:30 a.m. in the former Job Corps building on West Third Street, across from Klutho Park. By the time the first firefighters arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the building and flames were beginning to burn through the roof. The Jacksonville Fire-Rescue Division called a second alarm to get more units to the scene. Firefighters entered the building but quickly evacuated due to concern the building could collapse.
Source: http://www.news4jax.com/news/27657524/detail.html



I'm pretty sure someone, who couldn't think of anything better to do, intentionally set the building on fire. It's just sad because it is a historical building that has been up for years and is now scheduled to be demolished for safety purposes. It is made up of all brick, which will now go to waste. My co-workers think that it was probably some homeless guy or some bored teenagers who light the building on fire. Good thing though that no one was hurt.

1 comment:

  1. Words alone is not enough to describe how grateful and happy I am ��.my name is TAMMY DORRIS DUFUT am from Belgium. I have been suffering from HERPES $ HYPERTIS B for 9years,until I came across Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME who heals me through his powerful traditional African herbs. I was scared at first as I was been scam earlier but I gave it a trial and I was completely heal.. I promise to let the whole world know about this great herbal doctor who helps in changing my life for the better.. you can contact him for all kind of sickness and diseases. God bless you Dr.Chukwu madu herbal home for your powerful hand of healing upon my life ����... Contact him today: dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com. 
    WhatsApp +2347030936239

    ReplyDelete